4 DAYS & 3 NIGHTS GARDEN ROUTE TOUR
The Garden Route stretches along the South-Eastern coast of South Africa and is known for its immaculate beaches, spectacular coastal and forest scenery with towns dating from a former era. Warm summers and mild winters ensure an enjoyable year-round visit.
Garden Route Tour Day 1
We depart Cape Town at 08:00 and head northwards over the spectacular Du Toit’s Kloof Mountain pass en route to Worcester. We continue on the R62 (route 62 is known as the longest wine route in the world) through Montagu.
- We stop for a complimentary wine tasting and optional lunch.
- We proceed in the afternoon through the Klein Karoo, the changing scenery from lush fertile countryside to semi-desert areas make this a day full of amazement.
- A pleasant reception awaits us from the personnel of a reputable Oudtshoorn hotel, where we will arrive for our overnight stop. Oudtshoorn is the Ostrich Capital of the world.
- In Oudtshoorn Ostriches are found in great numbers.
However, the world’s largest bird is just one of the many attractions in this renowned area. This small town is the commercial hub of the greater Klein Karoo area – surrounding Prince Albert, De Rust and Calitzdorp and is located in a magnificent valley between the Outeniqua and Swartberg Mountains.
Garden Route Tour Day 2
We awake the next day to the fresh Karoo air. After a scrumptous breakfast we explore the world-renowned Cango Caves where we take a guided tour lasting over an hour – promising a day full of enchantment.
- From the Cango Caves we proceed to the Cango Wildlife Ranch (crocodile & cheetah farm) to learn more about hair-raising reptiles and other beautiful species.
- We will hear fascinating tales from the guide as we tour the farm with a chance to view tiger, lion, puma, cheetah and jaguar.
- A short drive to the other end of Oudtshoorn brings us to ostrich country where we will have lunch at the Highgate Ostrich Farm. During lunch we will listen to the restaurant personnel serenading us.
- After lunch, the tour of the farm shall begin. We head to the grasslands, where you will have the opportunity to sit on and ride an ostrich – certainly a day full of adventure! We will also learn more about their breeding habits and of the former days, when Oudtshoorn was in the midst of the 1920’s ostrich-feather boom.
- Late afternoon takes us over the Outeniqua Mountains to Knysna. Here for the very first time one starts to understand why this region is known as the Garden Route.
- As we drive over the summit of the pass, lush green lands await us. Get your camera ready as we take a drive to the splendid Knysna Heads where the ocean surges through the two sea cliffs to enter the stunning lagoon.
- Our hotel tonight will be situated in the beautiful Knysna area.
GARDEN ROUTE TOUR DAY 3 & 4
Today we have two exciting activity options to choose from as we head to Plettenberg Bay.
Garden Route Tour Day 3
- Enjoy the picturesque village of Knysna as we have a bit of free time in the Knysna Waterfront.
- We depart on a guided boat trip on the Knysna Lagoon Ferry, at about 11:30, where you will experience the magnificence of the Featherbed Nature Reserve. Ferries glide over shimmering waters, through soaring gorges.
- A specialist guide will accompany us on the trip which will ensure an informative and unforgettable 4-hour experience.
- Next, we enjoy a 4×4 vehicle and trailer drive up the headland onto the Reserve, stopping at spectacular viewpoints.
- We may do an optional guided 2.2km walk through coastal forest and fynbos into ancient sea caves.
- To end this lovely excursion, we will have a buffet lunch at an outdoor restaurant setting under a canopy of Milkwood trees.
- After lunch we make our way to Mossel Bay (in the late afternoon) where we explore the historical Post Office Tree and Dias Museum.
The Post Office Tree is where early pioneers left mail for the homebound ships to Europe. Furthermore, we spend a leisurely afternoon strolling along the beach before enjoying dinner at the Mossel Bay hotel.
- We explore the famous Primate Monkeyland Sanctuary in Plettenberg Bay. The Safaris are walking tours into the forest where the primates have been released and are freely roaming – how exhilarating!
- Your safari will be accompanied by experienced rangers who will track down and impart the most interesting information about the species and the forest.
- We may combine Monkeyland with The Elephant Sanctuary where guides will provide in-depth information and insight into African elephants, you will be able to touch and interact with the elephants in the forest.
- You also have the option of nearby Birds of Eden or the Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary that is home to big cats such as lions, cheetahs, tigers, leopard, jaguar, pumas, caracal, serval cats and other wildlife species such as zebra, wild dog, springbuck, gorilla, honey badger, raccoons and various snake species.
This day will definitely ensure “in awe” moments every second . . . After all the excitement and fascination, we will overnight at a best rated Mossel Bay hotel.
Garden Route Tour Day 4
The following morning, we drive to a private game reserve (Botlierskop), where we will enjoy a lovely game drive.
- You get the chance to experience close encounters with lion, buffalo, giraffe, rhino and rare black impala and many other species on an adrenaline-charged three-hour guided game drive.
- From the reserve we travel via the beautiful rolling hills to Swellendam, which is full of romantic history. The town was founded by the Dutch East India Company in 1745 in order to exercise control over independent frontiersmen who migrated over the Hottentots Holland Mountains at the beginning of the 18th century.
- The district and town were named after the reigning Governor of the Cape, Hendrik Swellengrebel, and his wife, Helena Ten Damme.
- In time, a village was established and Swellendam became the last outpost of civilization on the eastern frontier.
Our lunch today is at La Belle Alliance in Swellendam. After lunch we continue our scenic route back to the Mother City (Cape Town). Enquire about ending your tour in Port Elizabeth or at Cape Town International Airport.